Wednesday, May 16, 2012

Love the One You’re With

I have to admit, I continually put off updating my blog because I don't feel like it is as put together and designed as I would like it to be, but I have been humbled lately by realizing that very few things in life are perfect from the start. So I plan to keep on blogging, and keep on working on the design for as long as it takes to make it beautiful. Thanks for being patient blog readers!!
 - - -
For now, I am extremely excited to share something that I have been holding on to for a while. One of my sweet sweet friends, Madoline, agreed to take me up on my attempt at a regular blog column: Love the One You're With. This post couldn't have better timing because today is Madoline's birthday!!! Check out her beautiful house below (perfect for dinner parties I might add!)


MADOLINE'S HOUSE - - -
I can’t believe I live in my house. Yes, as Amy’s blog speaks of, I still dream of the home that will be all my own to decorate and make mine/my family’s own. But until that time, I am spoiled to live with three other girls in a character-filled older home whose owners updated and added on a few years ago.
I love Amy’s concept of “loving the one you’re with,” but truthfully I overwhelmingly treasure this house’s features and want to take them into my “dreams” with me one day.  
Hardwoods. Some rooms have the original wood, some have new, but they all give a woodsy look that is far superior to tile or carpet. Also, my roommate’s cat likes them.

A porch of escape. The swing is where we go to read, to enjoy being outside, to talk or sit as someone (not me) plays guitar. It’s where I take my breakfast and notebook on Sunday mornings. It’s where I most love to be, and it’s where I (mostly) can’t work on my to-do list (amen to that).

A wall that speaks. The best vertical space in our house comes courtesy of the artistry of a special former roommate in the house. I don’t want just something that coordinates with décor on my walls; blame the journalist in me, but I want each wall of my home to tell a story or reflect a season or people in my life. 

Dream kitchen. Gas range, stainless appliances, cookbook shelf—hello, the real reason I moved into this home and am so very spoiled. I intend for my kitchen to always fully function as a hub of family, fellowship and simultaneous host of my favorite love language, culinary creations.

Something unexpected. I would not have picked our front living room wall color, ever, but now that we inherited it, its gold-brown tones really make the room a standout. Plus, my roommate has quality taste in decorating mantels. 

A cultivated bookshelf. For now, I have one bedroom bookshelf, which forced me to form a collection of my most treasured yearbooks, photo books, the books I want to read and the ones I most go back to. It reminds me that I want the floor-to-ceiling bookshelves of my dreams to not just be decorative and make me feel literary but to be crafted to tell of influences of those who dwell there and to be shared with others.
  ***

Happy Birthday Madoline!
Thank you for writing, and thank you for being such a great friend for the past 3 years!

To everyone else, I am so glad that I could share this amazingly talented woman's writing and a little glimpse of her character and love of cooking with you.
Be sure to check out her blog over at Maple Macaroni for some equally amazing baked creations.

No comments:

Post a Comment